ULTIQA Hotels & Resorts
By admin | May 29, 2018
Winter is here and its time to enjoy some hearty meals.
Here are some recipes to keep you warm.
Slow-cooker Beef Ragu
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 600g Coles Australian No Added Hormones Gravy Beef
- 6 pancetta slices, finely chopped
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup (250ml) dry red wine
- 2 x 400g cans diced tomatoes
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped oregano
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped thyme
- 500g Coles Potato Gnocchi
- Shaved parmesan, to serve
Heat the oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Add the beef and cook for 2 mins each side or until brown all over. Transfer to a slow cooker.
Add pancetta, onion, carrot, celery and garlic to pan. Cook, stirring, for 5 mins or until onion softens. Add wine. Bring to the boil. Cook for 2 mins or until liquid reduces by half. Pour the mixture over the beef in the slow cooker. Add tomato, bay leaves, oregano and thyme.
Cook, covered, for 4 hours on high (or 6 hours on low) or until the beef is very tender. Use tongs to transfer the beef to a bowl. Coarsely shred. Return the beef to the slow cooker. Season.
Cook gnocchi in a large saucepan of boiling water following packet directions or until al dente. Drain. Divide among serving bowls. Spoon over ragu. Sprinkle with parmesan
Apple Tarte Tatin
- 4 small Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, halved
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1/3 cup (75g) caster sugar
- 40g butter, chopped
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry
- Créme fraîche, to serve
Place the sugar in an 18cm (base measurement) ovenproof frying pan over high heat and cook, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, for 5 mins or until the sugar melts and is golden brown. Remove from heat. Sprinkle the butter over the melted sugar and swirl the pan to combine. Arrange the apple, cut-side up, over the butter mixture in the pan. Drizzle with any juices from the bowl.
Place 1 pastry sheet on a clean work surface. Top with the remaining pastry to make a stack. Using a plate as a guide, cut a 25cm disc from the pastry. Place over the apple in the pan and quickly tuck the pastry edge into the side of the pan with a spoon.
Bake for 20-25 mins or until pastry is puffed and golden brown. Set aside for 2 mins to rest. Place a serving plate over the top of the pan. Carefully invert the tart onto the plate. Cut into wedges and serve immediately with créme fraîche.
Chunky Winter Vegetable and Chicken Soup
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 3 cardamom pods, bruised
- 1 swede, peeled, chopped
- 1 turnip, peeled, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled, thickly sliced
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 3 baby white potatoes, quartered
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled, chopped
- 2 chicken breast fillets
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 1/2 cup lentil, quinoa and bean mix
- 2 Coles bakery Turkish rolls, thickly sliced lengthways
- 2/3 cup grated tasty cheese
- 12 large fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic. Cook, stirring for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add bay leaves, cardamom, swede, turnip and carrot. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until vegetables start to soften. Add stock and 2 cups water. Bring to a simmer. Add chicken. Cook for 12 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Using tongs, transfer chicken to plate. Cool 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, add sweet potato and lentil mix to soup. Cook for 12 to 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Shred chicken. Stir into soup with kale. Cook for 1 minute to heat through.
Preheat grill on high. Line a baking tray with foil. Place bread on prepared tray. Sprinkle with cheese. Top each with one parsley leaf. Grill for 2 minutes or until cheese is bubbling. Serve soup with croutons.
Looking for a winter escape ULTIQA Hotels and Resorts has 6 fantastic options to choose from including:
- ULTIQA Little Collins, Melbourne CBD
- ULTIQA Rothbury Hotel, Brisbane CBD
- ULTIQA Shearwater Resort, Caloundra, Sunshine Coast, QLD
- ULTIQA Freshwater Point Resort, Broadbeach, Gold Coast
- ULTIQA Air on Broadbeach, Broadbeach, Gold Coast
- ULTIQA Beach Haven on Broadbeach, Broadbeach, Gold Coast
To find out more on www.ultiqahotelsandresorts.com.au or call 1800 4 ULTIQA